Welcome to The St Arnaud Event update. Can you believe there is only 1 WEEK TO GO? The committee are working behind the scenes to bring you the best MEGA event we can – all for FREE! Remember to REGISTER HERE by logging a “Will Attend” as this year we will be crossing off names at the event to ensure everyone who registered early gets their FREE gift.
It’s also important that you log your “will attend” on any other events you plan to attend. At the Saturday Night event we are providing each attendee with a Roast Beef Roll but if you haven’t logged a “will attend” here you might miss out! Rotary will also be selling sausages so bring a chair and some loose change!
Check out the full Schedule so you can plan your weekend.
Second of the Lab Caches
The second of the Lab Caches will be released in just a few days time on Monday November 11th and this Lab will close on Sunday November 24th. That means you can do them pre or post Mega if you are coming for longer than the weekend. The second tour is a Coffee, Cake and Fast Food Tour of St Arnaud Lab Adventure where you can discover some fantastic little eateries around the town we are calling home for the weekend. There is no need to enter the shop to find the code word but we do encourage you to spend some money and support this lovely little town.
If you’ve never done a Lab Cache before or haven’t done one since last year you will need to make sure you download the “Adventure Lab” app onto a mobile device. Simply download and login with your geocaching account and you will be good to go! Remember Lab Caches are now logged live on the spot through this app so you must be within range of the location to claim the smiley. They cannot be done through the regular geocaching app.
Speaking of Apps you may want to download a few others in preparation for your trip to St Arnaud this year. We recommend:
- The Geocaching App (otherwise how will you find all those hundreds of caches that are around?)
- The Adventure Lab App (to do all the Lab Caches mentioned above – plus a heads up another two will be released Saturday morning so that’s 4 Adventures totalling 40 Lab Caches)
- The Wherigo App (there are some Play Anywhere Wherigos around the town which you can do now from home and also one that will have you doing laps of the Main St)
- YouTube App (this might come in handy for some Lab Caches which are released Saturday morning)
- Metaverse App (there is an Augmented Reality Cache GC7Z1Z2 in town if you are keen for something different)
Food, Glorious Food
The Rotary Club of St Arnaud will be selling food across the weekend. This includes Breakfast on Saturday and Sunday mornings (bacon and egg rolls), lunch on Saturday and Sunday (sausages and vegie burgers) and dinner on the Saturday night (sausages in addition to the supplied roast beef roll). Please bring plenty of loose change to support a worthy organisation.
We will also have a water refill station on site so remember to BYO a drink bottle!
The Saturday Night dinner has been ordered and we will be printing names and ticking people off the list who have registered to come. If you are one of these people you will need to head into the MEGA shed during Saturday to get your wristband so you can get a yummy beef roll.
Online Orders & Merchandise
Online orders of coins, pathtags, FTF raffle and other merchandise will soon be closed so jump online and pre-order for collection from the Geocaching Victoria Shop. Items are selling out so get in quickly to avoid disappointment.
Fun & Games
Like most other Victorian MEGA Events that have gone before us we are continuing on with the tradition of having a “few games” run throughout the weekend. Some forms will be handout out at registration so to be in with a chance of winning – you need to grab the forms and get hunting! The following games are on offer:
- Social Bingo – fill the WHOLE sheet.
- Far & Wide Game – fill in a LINE with the specific stamps allocated in the cache. The more lines you fill the more chances you get to win.
- Letterbox Game – find all FIVE new Letterbox caches (released this week) and stamp with the special GVI stamps.
- Receipts Game – collect any receipts from when you shop in St Arnaud in the week prior and post the Mega and pop your caching name and a mobile number on the back.
It’s thanks to amazing supporters that make a MEGA event possible. This includes GeoStuff who will be on site during the Mega. We’ve also had donations from our mates in South Australia who are organising a MEGA event there – GeoVenture2020, Caching Supplies, Sssafe and Sistema so a big thanks to them too. It’s also important to note that this event isn’t possible without the support of the Northern Grampians Shire Council so thank you NGS – your support in invaluable! And we can’t forget the amazing support from PathTags and Geocaching HQ who help to make this dream a reality! Thanks guys!